Saturday, April 16, 2011

I Saw the Devil Review


This film is definitely not for little kids. In fact, the producers and directors were forced to cut out some scenes from the original or else it'd be banned indefinitely from Korea. Fortunately, I got to watch the original in all it's glory.

"I will catch you... then I will torture you... then I will let you go... then I will catch you... then I will torture you... then I will let you go... then I will catch you... then I will torture you... then I will let you go... then I will catch you... then I will torture you... then I will let you go... then I will catch you... then I will torture you... then I will let you go... then I will catch you..."

What a movie... I was literally breathless after watching this movie. This movie, like I said before is definitely not for little kids. This is by far one of Korea's most brutal thrillers in recent memory. The movie follows a secret agent, highly trained in the arts of pursuit and stealth. One day his wife gets murdered by a ruthless serial killer. The secret agent then goes on a manhunt, tracking down his serial killer, one murder at a time... But no, killing the man who murdered his wife is not enough for the secret agent. He brutally beats up the killer, let's him go, catches him, does it again, and rinse and repeat.

This story is extremely dark and gritty. The most phenomenal scenes in this movie are the taxi stabbing scene and the final scene. Each scene is breathtaking, making you cringe, yet it grabs a hold of you and won't let you look away from the screen. Character development of the main character is also a treat. It slowly shows his transformation as his actions blur the lines between good and evil. Being a good guy can't triumph evil... Being a bad guy can't triumph evil... Only an evil person can stand toe to toe with another evil person and that's exactly what happens.

Though this movie is extremely violent, has plenty of explicit scenes, and even a hint of cannibalism, it was thoroughly enjoyable. What's the scary part? This can happen to anyone, anytime in real life, which leads you to contemplate further afterwards. Another great revenge flick from the Korean movie industry and a must-watch film for fans of the genre.

FluffyBunnyPwn gives it 9/10 overall

No comments:

Post a Comment