Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Need For Speed Shift 2: Unleashed Review




This game... I don't even know where to begin.

Gameplay: 4/10

The controls feel very floaty. I seriously feel like I have almost no control over my car because every time I try to turn, there seems to be a delay in the steering. And in a driving game where reflexes are crucial, this is completely unacceptable. Can't help it if the game has a slower reaction time than I do. Another thing that is new is the helmet cam. Now... in the first Shift, there was just the cockpit cam, which was greatly utilized and showed us that the cockpit cam will work in driving games if done right. The only problem I have with the new helmet cam is when I'm trying drift or maneuver a quick slide around a corner, the helmet cam will turn away from the corner, which makes me think I'm going straight when I'm really not.

Presentation/Performance: 8/10

It looks good overall. I seem to notice a lot of bloom during the evening race sequences, but it looks realistically scary during night races. With my rig I was able to max it out at 40-50 fps, which is weird, because I didn't think the visuals differed that greatly from the first one to be honest.

The Good:

- Car designs look great
- New helmet cam makes you really feel like you're the driver
- More cars and more tracks
- Night racing looks scarily amazing

The Bad: 

- Horrible handling/controls
- Helmet cam reaction during crucial drifts can start to get annoying

FluffyBunnyPwn gives it 6/10 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment