Friday, June 17, 2011

Green Lantern (2011) Review


DC superheroes have sort of been "meh" compared to Marvel superheroes, of course with the exception of Batman. Green Lantern has been under my radar, but it stood far behind Thor, X-Men First Class, and Captain America for the summer. How's all the green going to fare?

"Everyone has fear, but you have the power to overcome it."

Let me just start off by saying, I don't know anything about Green Lantern. All I know is that there's many generations of human green lanterns and they are part of a universal group of superheroes who protect the universe from evil by harnessing the power of willpower, thus the green color. Well then, what's willpower's greatest enemy? Fear, and... for some reason that's yellow. Anyways, the good guys and bad guys are color coded, so you know exactly who's on what side.

Now... also in the same DC universe, there's Batman, who also uses the idea of fear in his story. In Green Lantern, Hal Jordan must not give in to fear and overcome it with courage and willpower. In Batman, Bruce Wayne embraces his fear and uses that to inflict fear on evil, kind of like fighting fire with fire. Now who's cooler? Batman of course.

What I'm trying to say is, Green Lantern had soooo much potential. With a bad script and directing, the film felt rushed. Blake Lively was beautiful no doubt, but their little loveline was kind of pointless. To be blunt, Green Lantern was all over the place. The CGI effects felt really "yesterday" and pales in comparison to other superhero movies *ahem* X-Men Origins and Thor *ahem*.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but I found myself looking at my watch several times throughout the movie.

FluffyBunnyPwn gives it 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment